Saturday, September 22, 2007

A Love Of Books In Baghdad

Here in an fine article and a telling video about a bookseller in Baghdad.

When I undertook my National Service in Basra in 1955-56, I paid a weekly visit to a bookshop in the town and purchased a small library of books which I still possess. I also ordered and obtained weekly copies of the New Statesman on rice paper and backed-dated copies of Reynolds News and the Observer which arrived by sea. A copy of the latter included Khrushchev's lengthy revelations about Stalin.

The bookseller also had a fascinating display of Rationalist Press Association Books from which I made several purchases. The only book he could not obtain for me was Karl Marx's Das Capital, when the local Chief of Police vetoed the sale.

The Baghdad bookseller's love of books as shown in the video, shows just why Iraq can still have a future.

2 comments:

Gabriel said...

Hi Harry, I really like your blog and reading it , I feel we share sufficient common ground for a link to each others blogs to be mutually beneficial.If you agree to link then please contact me at 'An Unrepentant Communist'

http://unrepentantcommunist.blogspot.com/

on the commments page of the current post,and I will immediately link your blog to mine.Looking forward to hearing from you.
Gabriel in County Kerry Ireland

Harry Barnes said...

gabriel; I have added my own private link to your blog via my list of "favorites". But I have limited PC skills when operating matters such as the links on my blog itself. I have to turn to others for help on such matters. I will try to improve my blog's presentation in time, including the updating of its links.

In the meantime you might like to have a look at a four-part history of the Iraqi Communist Party which I posted on 21, 23, 25 and 26 of April this year.