Thursday, June 02, 2011

A Week In Which To Save The Labour Party

A review of the Labour Party policy making process was launched at last year's Annual Conference of the Labour Party and a subsequent report will be presented for endorsement at this year's Annual Conference.

The deadline for submissions to the review is 10th June - in only eight days.

Submissions can be made either: - Via the Labour Party website at: members.labour.org.uk/pip - Or in writing to:
Review of Partnership into Power
Policy and Research Department
The Labour Party
39 Victoria Street
London
SW1H 0HA

I intend to submit the following -

"Complex and convoluted systems undermine the operations of supposed democratic procedures. Democratic arrangements need to be straightforward and understood. The current "Partnership Into Power" system and the functions of the National Policy Forum are not understood by the bulk of Labour Party members who participate in Labour Party Branch and Constituency activities, serve on local councils and/or engage in local electoral activity. The current system is dismissed as being one of "smoke and mirrors". It should be abandoned.

In its place we require a clear structure for policy making, in which democratically run units of the Labour Party have a direct link into the activities of the National Executive Committee and into the decision-making procedures of the Annual Conference of the Labour Party".

If you would like to add your name to the above statement along with your Labour Party Branch and Constituency details, then please confirm this via the attached comment box within the next few days. An alternative is to send your own submission directly to the Labour Party.

6 comments:

Blogger Brader said...

I agree. Martin Brader Dronfield Branch LP, NE Derbychire CLP.

jams o donnell said...

Sensible words. I agree too. Shaun Downey Romford Town branch Romford CLP

Unknown said...

James Doran, South East BLP, Darlington CLP

Harry Barnes said...

Thanks Martin, Shaun and James.

Robert said...

yet when reading some of the idea's and thoughts I notice a lot has been said about hard working families, which of course leaves me out. Being disabled and yes I know I can type on a computer so should be working, but sadly after ten years of looking, sadly my legs gave out, so did my bowel and bladder. But I was once a hard working member of society, sadly not anymore. Where does that leave people like myself within Labour, voting Tory by the look of it.

Harry Barnes said...

Robert : But what I propose is an idea which would be part of undermining the New Labour position and its present version. I know that it is an idea that is very unlikely to win the day, but that has never seemed to me to be a reason for not trying. That was my logic in pushing for a reasonable version of the Civil Rights Disabled Persons Bill against William Hargue's counter-productive version in 1995.