Monday, April 20, 2009
Alice Where Art Thou ?
Four Year Past This Even,
And Thou Wert By My Side
-Rebelling Against New Labour.
Alice Mahon and I were both Labour MPs from 1987 to 2005. We were both members of the Socialist Campaign Group. We are both over three score years and ten. We have both held Labour Party Membership Cards for 50 years or more. She has just resigned from the Labour Party. I disagree with what she has done. Here is why -
1. Socialists Politicos need to be in a political party.
2. In current British circumstances there is no feasible alternative party for them apart from Labour.
3. The argument that the Labour leadership is wrong is no reason for resigning. It was wrong when I joined it in 1957 and has tended to be so ever since.
4. Labour still has the bulk of the Trade Unions affiliated to it. An avenue to developing a consciousness of socialism is via trade union consciousness.
5. Why desert your comrades, most of whom are still pursuing the type of tasks they plugged away at in the past?
6. Rebels should rebel and not give up.
7. You might start a trend and leave those who remain even more isolated.
8. Those of us who took the King's shilling under Kinnock and Blair have already sold out. We can't put the clock back.
9. It is much more fun to be expelled from an organisation on an issue of principle, than just to pack it in.
10. It is difficult for those over three-score-years-and-ten to learn new tricks.